THE BENEFITS OF VITAMIN C SERUM
What is Vitamin C?
Before you can understand the benefits of Vitamin C serum, it's important to have an idea of what Vitamin C actually is and why it's so vital to skin health. Also known as ascorbic acid or L-ascorbic acid, Vitamin C is derived from foods such as cantaloupe, citrus fruits, and berries. It’s an essential nutrient that is vital for maintaining the growth and repair of body tissues including skin, tendons, and ligaments, absorbing other vitamins such as iron, and helping the function of enzymes. It’s important to note that the body cannot make Vitamin C on its own, nor is vitamin C stored in the body. So it’s important to get plenty of vitamin C on a regular basis.
The Benefits of Using Vitamin C Serum For Your Skin
A diet rich in Vitamin C is beneficial to your overall health. However, applying it topically with a Vitamin C serum will allow you to enjoy the most direct skin health benefits. Vitamin C serum is a mixture of the essential vitamin combined with a carrier oil and other ingredients to help nourish the skin. Let’s explore some of the specific benefits of using it:
Fights Free Radical Damage and Signs of Aging
Every day, your skin is on the receiving end of oxidative stress, which occurs when oxygen molecules from your body split, leaving atoms with unattached electrons. These non-paired electrons are referred to as “free radicals”. They want partners, so they start going partying on through your body, trying to find a match. But they leave a big mess: along the way, these free radicals can wreak havoc on the body’s cells and proteins. One of the most detested effects of free radicals? Advanced signs of aging. To reduce the impact of free radicals on your body and health, it’s important to have a skincare routine that includes plenty of potent antioxidants, or nutrients that can help reduce damage brought on by free radicals. Vitamin C is a natural antioxidant, and it does an incredible job of combating free radicals, which makes a Vitamin C serum a great addition to your skincare regimen.
Vitamin C serum doesn’t just help diminish the potential free radical damage on the skin; it also takes an active role in repairing skin that has been damaged, helping restore it to a healthier state. According to a 2017 study, one of the roles of Vitamin C in skin health is that it promotes collagen production in the skin. Collagen is the main protein present in skin and other tissues, so increased production could help in restoring elasticity and buoyancy in the skin.
Brightens Dark Spots
There’s no doubt about it: dark spots on the skin are a definite downer. They tend to show up on the parts of the body that receive the most sun exposure, which often means that they are in visible spots such as the face, hands, shoulders, arms, and back. The good news? Since dark spots are often a post-inflammatory response, naturally anti-inflammatory Vitamin C serum can help reduce their appearance.
Helps Protect the Skin Against Sun Damage
The sensation of sun on your skin is a beautiful thing, but too much of a good thing can have serious effects on the appearance and health of your skin. Prolonged sun exposure can lead to UV rays penetrating not just the outer skin layers but deeper layers too. This can cause damage to the deeper levels that can reduce the skin’s elasticity and promote signs of early aging. A Vitamin C serum, with its antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties, can help both in reducing existing damage, and can help protect the skin against future damage.
What Are the Side Effects of Vitamin C Serum?
With any addition to your skincare routine, it’s important to consider potential side effects. While Vitamin C serum is typically safe for most people, those with sensitive skin should note that it is possible to experience skin irritation when using the serum. Depending on the severity, you may want to consider using the serum less frequently or discontinuing usage. Additionally, be sure to review the ingredients in the Vitamin C serum you’ve chosen to make sure that none of them will trigger known allergies or sensitivities. For best results with vitamin C serum, be sure to apply it properly.
Here’s how to do it:
- 1. Select your serum. Select a vitamin C serum with high quality ingredients, such as Art Naturals Vitamin C serum.
- 2. Wash your face. Using a gentle cleanser, a clean washcloth, and warm water, clean your face. Pat dry but leave the skin slightly damp.
- 3. Apply the serum to a cotton ball, then gently sweep across the face, using an upward motion. Allow the serum to dry.
- 4. Apply moisturizer. Use a high quality moisturizer to maximize the effects of vitamin c serum in preventing skin and sun damage.
- 5. Repeat this process twice a day.
What is the Best Vitamin C Serum?
Vitamin c serum is absorbed directly into your skin, so you want to be sure that you’re treating your skin and body well by using a high quality product. Art Naturals was founded with the belief that beauty treatments should stem from the purest forms of nature. To live up to this vision, we’ve created a suite of products that are composed of the finest ingredients and extracts, sourced from all over the world. Art Naturals Vitamin C serum is a high quality product with an ingredient list that sets it apart from many others. Vitamin C is the star ingredient, of course. To further the nurturing and nourishing effects of the serum, we combine it with a variety of other all natural ingredients such as including aloe, jojoba oil, Gotu Kola, Horsetail extract, Dandelion extract, and Wild Geranium extract so that your skin can enjoy its best glow possible.
Curious about the other ingredients contained in our Vitamin C serum? Here’s an explanation of each of the key ingredients including the benefits of each one:
- 1. Hyaluronic Acid. Don’t be frightened by the presence of the word “acid” in the name. Hyaluronic acid is actually one of the secrets to smooth, healthy, and hydrated skin! The body actually produces this acid naturally to maintain moisture levels. However, due to aging and environmental factors, sometimes your body can’t keep up and moisture levels dip, which can contribute to the presence of fine lines and uneven skin tone. Hyaluronic acid helps maintain skin hydration, keeping your skin supple, soft, and maintaining a smooth texture.
- 2. Soothing Aloe.If you’ve ever had skin irritation, you probably know that aloe is an extremely soothing salve. But in addition to providing relief from itching or burning sensations, aloe vera can also help assist with skin regeneration and reducing inflammation, which helps it heighten the potential anti-aging effects of a vitamin C serum.
- 3. Hydrating Jojoba Oil Not all oils are created equal. Not only is jojoba oil super hydrating, but it is very similar in structure to the oils that occur naturally in our skin, so it tends to absorb easier and faster than many other oils. That means that you can get thorough, long-lasting hydration without heavy or oily skin. And, jojoba oil is appropriate for all skin types!
- 4. Gotu Kola. Also known as centella asiatica, this is a type of plant from Southeast Asia that has been employed for many years as part of traditional Chinese and Ayurvedic medicine. Poultices including gotu kola are often used to heal wounds and help the body recover. Naturally occurring compounds in gotu kula are said to stimulate collagen production, too. The bottom line? This plant’s presence in our serum contributes to its soothing effects on the skin!
- 5. Horsetail Extract Horsetail extract has long been prized for its anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties, and its ability to heal a variety of bodily and skin conditions. Horsetail is also a natural source of silica, which can help repair damaged skin.
- 6. Dandelion Extract. Dandelions are a powerful antioxidant, which means that dandelion extract helps neutralize and combat damage from free radicals.
- 7. Wild Geranium Extract. Wild geranium is a natural tonic for the skin, helping keep the skin toned and tight in texture. It’s the perfect secret ingredient to round out our Vitamin C serum!